Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 thanks, and disappointment
To: Donald Lee <MacBSD-68k@caution.icompute.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/20/2005 17:45:58
--idY8LE8SD6/8DnRI

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 12:28:33PM -0500, Donald Lee wrote:
> I ran into three killer problems, though.
>=20
> 1. rsh was unreliable.  There are a few of my scripts that do rsh operati=
ons
> to other machines, and when I ran these scripts, the rsh would
> hang (for days, not minutes or hours)  This was unpredictable, but
> very repeatable.  (The "other machine" in this case is running NetBSD 1.6=
.2)

That's very strange. I'd suggest posting on tech-net about this. Is DNS=20
set up right (thoguh that shouldn't hang for days...)?

> 2. Performance of wget was awful.  Under NetBSD 1.3.3, a wget of a trivial
> URL would use .3 user .2 sys.  Under NetBSD 2.0, this was 4.2u and 2.5s.
> I did some ktrace work and as far as I can tell, this is because NetBSD
> 2.0 uses nls (multi-language stuff), and does a bunch of unnecessary work.
> I tried to turn off NLS in the wget build, but was unsuccessful.
> (I think the wget Makefile is busted in this regard)  Note that I could
> not run the 1.3.3-built wget on NetBSD 2.0 due to some dynamic
> library missing problem that I did not chase down.

Oh, 1.3 was a.out. You will need to set up a lot of COMPAT_13, COMPAT_14,=
=20
etc. in your kernel and also the a.out shared library support. I don't=20
still have any a.out systems running, so I'm not 100% sure how to do this.

The emulators/compat13 package may also be needed, however I'm not sure if=
=20
it builds its libraries a.out... Ripping the libraries off of the 1.3.3=20
system certainly would work.

Take care,

Bill

--idY8LE8SD6/8DnRI