Subject: Re: netatalk for NetBSD 2.0???
To: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
From: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drkilloran@speakeasy.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/09/2005 08:42:46
On Mar 8, 2005, at 11:08 PM, Tim & Alethea Larson wrote:

> Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. wrote:
>> I am installing NetBSD 2.0 on my Mac IIvx.
>> The version of netatalk in the corresponding package folder
>> (ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/2.0/mac68k/net) goes no
>> higher than netatalk-1.5.3.1.tgz. But when I try to pkg_add this
>> version, I get:
>> pkg_add: Package 'netatalk-1.5.3.1.tgz' OS mismatch
>> pkg_add: NetBSD/m68k 1.6_RC1 (pkg) vs NetBSD/m68k 2.0 (this host)
>
> Have you tried building from source?
>
> --
> Tim & Alethea
> christtrek.org

Yes, I am doing that now - but this is a Mac IIvx. The compilation
started before supper last night, and is still running after breakfast!

My point is that netatalk is "just another package" to MOST ports, but
tp mac68k and macppc it is an extremely important one that ought to be
included, in binary form, so that it can be used immediately.

For the record, it took me THREE TIMES as long to get a binary version
of netatalk working, in spite of considerable help from this list, than
it took to get the base version of 2.0 installed and working. This is
excessive for such an important package.

(Sorry if I am ranting!)

Dan Killoran