Subject: Re: "Softfloat" breaks IDE disk driver?
To: David M. <dave_matthew@yahoo.com>
From: Terence Tan <terence@calroth.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/05/2005 09:52:16
--------------enig0524EAAC6386719F103A32C6

David M. wrote:
> I'm attempting to install NetBSD 2.0 "softfloat" [1]
> on a Powerbook 190cs.  Unfortunately, the IDE disk
> driver appears to be broken: accessing the machine's
> single IDE disk continuously for a short period of
> time causes the operating system to cease functioning
> properly (all processes seem to permanently freeze,
> but the TTY echo continues to work).

I can't speak for the other softfloat users, but I'll say this: every
since upgrading to 2.0, my IDE drive has continued to work fine, but my
SCSI drive has started getting errors and locking up when transferring
more than about 1MB at a time... I haven't troubleshooted it much
because I just disabled the drive and moved its contents to my IDE
drive, but if anyone has the same problem, maybe it's worth pursuing.

(I have an IDE drive on the built-in Performa 630 channel, and a SCSI
drive in the CD-ROM bay.)

  -Terence Tan

--- Get Firefox! http://www.calroth.net/firefox ---