Subject: Re: I need a cd boot disk for a Quadra 700, or a minimal netBSD that will fit on a zip
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: RAParker <RAParker@Quadzilla.NET>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/19/2004 09:15:40
On Friday, November 19, 2004, at 08:20  AM, Dwight Hines wrote:

> I've been trying to get my quadra to work with 1.5 netbsd and no luck.
>  The booter gets past the copyright and the if wuz you but after about
> a long paragraph, it hangs.

I've been watching your posts...let me see if I can help. I'm still a
newbie...I have only been running NetBSD on my 840av's for about 2
years.

AFAIK...No boot disk available. You will need to boot Mac OS first,
then run the booter software (on the Mac side) which loads the kernel
and boots into NetBSD.

To install NetBSD, same thing. Only, you will specify a special
installer kernel once you run the booter software on the Mac. AKA the
sysinst method.

These are some links I've collected, that have gotten me to where I am
today:

NetBSD/mac68k
   http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/
NetBSD Mac INSTALL 161
   ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.1/mac68k/INSTALL.html
NetBSD Documentation
   http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/
Tracking NetBSD-current
   http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/
O'Reilly Network: Staying Current with NetBSD
   http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/3371

> So, my solution would be to buy, at a real cheap price, a nice
> bootable cd, and use that for installing and as a backup.
>
> The key here is that the time right now to fiddle with it is not
> there.

You're out of luck. As I said, I'm still a newbie and it's taken me
"2-3 years of learning" OpenBSD and then NetBSD, just to be able to
manage the following:

840av #1:
   NAT Router
   Firewall

840av #2:
   Dial-in Email Access for my Netwon 120
   AppleTalk Filesharing

I have still yet to learn and implement:
   SMTPD
   POPD
   SSHD

>   So, by using a cd I can get up and networking and all that.

If you want UNIX on a bootable CD, with quick setup, Buy a cheap PC for
$50 and OpenBSD for $35.

Checkout:
   http://www.openbsd.org/

On Tuesday, November 16, 2004, at 11:21  AM, Dwight Hines wrote:

> I need a contact of someone who has done this or is doing this.  I
> don;t want to get so involved in the unix that I never get to use the
> system for doing lots of different things.

Bummer...you might be barking up the wrong tree. Unix is the future of
enterprise computing and I decided several years ago that I should dip
my feet into it.

I would be glad to help in any way possible. But Unix has a steep
learning curve and you may not be able to accomplish what you want
overnight...let alone in the immediate future.

> So, right now I'm still adjusting the zip startup disk so I can use it
> to start up Calvin (Quadra 1 with 1 gig internal disk),  init the disk
> and then partition it, then expand NetBSD into it.

Spend a good week or two learning how to partition, install, erase,
partition, install, erase, partition, install, compile a custom kernel,
download and compile the sources, cvs update the sources, compile a
custom kernel from the updated sources, compile and install the updated
sources, etc...etc...etc...

The big question is: What do you need to do and why do you need to do
it?

If something has been dropped in your lap, it might be beyond your
capabilities. If you want to learn Unix, you will want to spend some
quality time with your new operating system...like 2 or 3 years...trust
me.

Start with the links I mentioned above. I'll try to respond to your
posts as best as I can.

Best regards,

Ron

--

               |\_           PowerMac G4/500 : RC5-72 [4,497,408 keys/s]
              _(/(c__         Dual Quadra 840av : RC5-72 [73,214 keys/s]
             {/ (_wwv`;,
            _/ _) `^'(`;`),,
           {/  _)    `*(:'(:)*,
                  CLASSIFIED o U.S. Government Munitions o 3.7 gigaflops
        http://stats.distributed.net/participant/psummary.php?&id=427831