Subject: Re: Taking stuff out of closets - IIc? and Portrait Display
To: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@fastmail.fm>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/18/2004 09:05:31
In article <Pine.NEB.4.58.0410180618230.344@simak>,
	magetoo@fastmail.fm (Magnus Eriksson) writes:

>> >Now, is there any chance at all I will ever get even 16 grays out
>> >of my setup?
>
>> Not with a B&W monitor, no.
>
>> The IIci can do greys & color, but the monitor won't ever be better
>> than it was when it shipped.
>
>   To clarify, I meant "my current setup" (with NetBSD) won't do anything
> but 1-bit...

There's a candidate color server that never made it into the NetBSD
sources...

  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/contrib/Xmac68kColor/

It does 8-bit grayscale on all ports, and 16-bit color on most.
The directory has a binary for some older system -- 1.5 I think.
I went as far as merging with the XFree86 4.4.0 build structure
*and* our own "reachover build"...

 ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/fredb/netbsd-2-0/mac68k-color-X-src.diff
 ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/fredb/netbsd-2-0/mac68k-color-X-xsrc.diff

however, it can't go in the tree because no one can even say who
wrote all the pieces of it, let alone give permission to use it.
So, no color server until someone either re-writes the copyrightable
parts, or starts from scratch based on another port's server, perhaps
using some information from the patches.

You're welcome to apply the patches and "./build.sh -x ..." for
yourself. I believe most of the original code was posted to this
mailing list with the intention of being included in NetBSD,
so there's no real issue with re-distributing the patches, but
we've waited too long, and now it doesn't seem possible to meet
our standard, for the tree, of getting either a BSD-style license
or an outright assignment from each author.

Frederick