Subject: Re: KDE or GNOME on a Quadra @ 25MHZ?
To: Joshua Coombs <jcoombs@gwi.net>
From: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/20/2004 07:46:05
Hi,

The other thing that will kill you is many programs are unhappy with
anything less than 16bit color.  They claim they will work, but, they
often aren't heavily used/tested and in the end don't.

When you stop and think about it, given how cheap 24bit color cards
are, this isn't a big suprise.  When I try to run firefox across the
network to my Powerbook 540c it segfaults.  Other programs that want a
lot of color will kill the X server instead.

At work we use a lot of Suns, not so new ones at this point, which
almost as a rule came with 8 bit cards.  Moderen versions of
Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox frequently run badly and crash.

Did you try the 8bit color X server on your Quadra?  The colors are
funky but it does work on my PB540s.

cheers

bruce

--