Subject: Re: KDE or GNOME on a Quadra @ 25MHZ?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Joshua Coombs <jcoombs@gwi.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/18/2004 21:30:41
----- Original Message -----
From: "Toad" <toad@arsystel.com>
To: <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2004 10:07 AM
Subject: KDE or GNOME on a Quadra @ 25MHZ?

> Hi all!!
>
> I'm running NetBSD 1.6.2 on my Quadra 610, 700MB Hard Disk, 23MB
> RAM. It
> works really fine!!
<snip>
> Hmmm... how runs KDE or GNOME on mac68k machines? What about
> speed? :-S

RAM is going to be your primary limiting factor.  I ran on a
386dx-40 with 64mb ram, once you got past waiting for stuff to chuff
into ram, it was usable.  Eyecandy is not really something you want
to try, and KDE/GNOME do absolutely terrible at low resoultion/color
depths.

Personally I'd like to see effort made to get GPE or Opie going on
mac68k, but as I'm not working twoards it myself, I can't do any
complaining if it doesn't happen. : )

Joshua Coombs