Subject: Re: [Slightly OT] Router advice
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Joel Rees <joel_rees@sannet.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/31/2004 11:22:25
> Wow, I'm getting more help than I deserved, given the OT :-)

Hey, if the volume here were like on the tomcat or struts lists, there
might be reason to complain. Besides, answering your questions helps me
figure out what I'm doing. ;-)

And, really, strategies for overcoming the limitations of our neat
little Macs are at least a little bit on topic.

> Michael wrote:
>
>> You don't need aliases or anything - I did exactly this for ages with
>> little Sun ( running Solaris though ) with only one network interface,
>> the DSL modem plugged into the switch
>                                  ******
>
> OK, let's see if I got it right. Hey, I'm a newbie, please bear with
> me if
> I'm talking nonsense!
> This is what I wanted to do:
>
>                          +---+
> |       _________        |   |
> |>-----|DSL modem|-------| H |--------> L  [192.168.0.2 etc.]
> |      |_________|   ____| U |--------> A
>                     |    | B |--------> N
>                     |    |   |
>                     |    +---+
>          1.2.3.4    |  192.168.0.1
>          ["real"] \ | /[alias]
>               +----ae0----+
>               |           |
>               |   NetBSD  |
>               |   router  |
>               +-----------+
>
> Would the above work? Do I need a switch instead of a hub?

Under PPPoA, the default setup is likely to be to assign everything on
the LAN side local range addresses (may be DHCP or static, depending on
the DSL modem/router and your setup).

So what you'd have on the LC475/NetBSD router would probably not be a
global IP and local alias, but a local range IP and local range alias
on a different subnet. (Note that the DSL modem/router has a LAN-side
address in addition to the WAN-side address.)

So I think it would look more like this (pardon my diagramming style):

(1.2.3.4)DSL(192.168.0.1)<->HUBA<->(192.168.0.2)LC475

LC475(aliased192.168.0.129)<->HUBA<->LAN(192.168.0.130~254)

using a netmask of 255.255.255.128 for all the LAN side (interface)
addresses. (Am I getting this right?)

HUBA and LC475 are the same physical boxes, of course.

I haven't tried this, so I can't say whether it would actually work. So
far, I've been content to let my modem be my router, since that's one
of the advertised functions for it.

Joel Rees
     It's not the "Here's a button, click it!" attitude,
     It's Bill saying he has to be free to invent our technological
future.
     (But I'm just as glad it's not Steve's company with the 95%,
either.)