Subject: Re: [Slightly OT] Router advice
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Damiano Giorgi <damianogiorgi@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/30/2004 23:14:51
Wow, I'm getting more help than I deserved, given the OT :-)

Michael wrote:

> You don't need aliases or anything - I did exactly this for ages with a
> little Sun ( running Solaris though ) with only one network interface,
> the DSL modem plugged into the switch
                                 ******

OK, let's see if I got it right. Hey, I'm a newbie, please bear with me if
I'm talking nonsense!
This is what I wanted to do:

                         +---+
|       _________        |   |
|>-----|DSL modem|-------| H |--------> L  [192.168.0.2 etc.]
|      |_________|   ____| U |--------> A
                    |    | B |--------> N
                    |    |   |
                    |    +---+

         1.2.3.4    |  192.168.0.1
         ["real"] \ | /[alias]
              +----ae0----+
              |           |
              |   NetBSD  |
              |   router  |
              +-----------+

Would the above work? Do I need a switch instead of a hub?

Michael G. Schabert wrote:

> Since only one
> interface will be running a PPPoE client (the NetBSD router) all
> other machines on the LAN are quite invisible to the outside world
> except where the router is explicitly told to allow otherwise via NAT
> tables.

You shed some light in my mind... so the above setup would work with PPPoE,
but would not with a straight IP connection. Actually, most DSL providers
in Italy offer PPPoE, but the one I might choose has PPP over ATM, does
that make things different? And btw, PPPoATM is supported at kernel level
in NetBSD, right?

Anyway, I think I'm going to either buy a hardware modem-router or follow
Joshua Coombs' advice to get a SCSI-Ethernet adapter and add a second
interface to the 475.

Thanks to Joel, both Michaels, der Mouse and Joshua for their help, and
sorry for the OT!

Damiano Giorgi