Subject: Re: explain gcc and where do I get it
To: Michael Mielko <michaelmielko@mac.com>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/29/2004 23:12:16
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:51:36 -0400
Michael Mielko <michaelmielko@mac.com> wrote:

> thank you to all of you who helped me with my first basic questions.
>
> Now, what is the gcc compiler and where do I get it ? I would want to
> run it on a mac OS X (Dual processor G4 ) machine.
>

> Can I cross compile from mac os X to the mac 68030 machine (Macintosh
> performa 460)

Being a newbie as you say, get a binary distribution.  Go to:

	ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/

pick up the latest one that has binaries for mac68k (preferably from the
2.0 branch) and use it.  You could also get a 1.6.2 build from the standard
ftp server... but my suggestion is that you go for 2.0_BETA.

> How would I configure everything.... ?

Read the documentation.  Specially the INSTALL.* documents in the binary
distribution and all the FAQs in the website; links here (right side):

	http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/