Subject: [Slightly OT] Router advice
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Damiano Giorgi <damianogiorgi@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/29/2004 14:59:00
Hello everybody,

I'm considering throwing away my old 56k and switching to DSL, and I would
like to have a UNIX machine set up as a router for my mini-LAN. I've got an
old LC475 which has several pros (quiet, very low power consumption, quite
stable with NetBSD-softfloat), but one big problem: it can have (and has)
only one network card. I know that what I want to accomplish is possible
using interface aliases, but my question is, are there any serious
drawbacks in doing that? I remember having read somewhere that having a
router with only one network interface is not secure -- is that true? And
while we are at it, where can I find info on how to do that with NetBSD and
ipfilter? I did a quick search but nothing interesting came up.

Thanks in advance,

Damiano Giorgi