Subject: Re: Cross Compiling ... help a newbe.....
To: Michael Mielko <mastersounds@mindspring.com>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/28/2004 21:07:13
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:44:14 -0400
Michael Mielko <mastersounds@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to cross compile (Maybe I mean install)  netbsd on a Mac
> OS X machine or Windows XP machine, and generate the proper install
> information code on a target machine (Mac Performa 460  - a 03 machine,
> no fpu)

Yes, you can.  The build.sh script in the top level directory of the
source tree will do it automagically for you.  All you need to pass to
it is the '-m mac68k' option; and of course, read the BUILDING document
in the same directory.

WRT running it on a fpu less machine... you'll need the softfloat patch
by Bruce O'Nell; get it here:

	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/jmmv/mac68k-softfloat.diff

It should apply cleanly to current sources, and probably 2.0_BETA.
Without it, kernels won't boot (and even if they do, you'll get lots of
coredumps at runtime).

> I want to end up with netbsd running on the Performa 460 with color an
> some type of x-window GUI KDE would be nice, but I am realistic, it's
> an old machine .... any gui would be ok...

I've run pwm successfully, and it's not slow.  Just forget about KDE and
such beasts and you'll be fine.

Cheers

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>