Subject: Review the softfloat patch
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/17/2004 20:27:09
Hi all,

I've taken Bruce's patch to enable softfloat on mac68k and cleaned it up
a bit.  The original patch removed some lines of code and did other changes
that could modify the regular build of the tree (non-softfloat); hopefully
this patch does not.  Furthermore I've turned it into a real diff (not a
tarball) to ease its review.

You can find the diff here:

	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/jmmv/mac68k-softfloat.diff

It applies cleanly to current, and should only change NetBSD's build when
MKSOFTFLOAT is set.  Otherwise everything should be built as usual.

To get this working, one needs to fix PR 26250, which this patch tries
to, too.  This is what the changes to machdep.c and fpu.c do, but I'm not
sure they are right (mainly because I've done them ;).  It works with a
fpu-less computer, but I don't know what will happen with a full 68040 chip.

Anyway, that code is bogus because the check fputype != FPU_NONE is
always false at that point, due to fputype's default value.

Comments?  Things that should be done before commiting?

Thanks!

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/