Subject: Re: Successful installation plus comments
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/16/2004 17:08:02
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:14:58 -0500 (CDT)
Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net> wrote:

> There are only two slots on a Q63x [*]: the one near the center
> is a processor direct LC-style slot, which card lies flat along the
> motherboard, and the Communications slot, which card stands upright
> along the edge. (I guess the Comm slot looks a little like PCI?)
> The LC slot enjoys broader support. You can get ethernet, video and
> accelerators, which work on older Macs, too. The Comm slot is only
> for a limited set of Performa/Quadras, and only provides ethernet
> (or modems?).

Ok.  I have searched google for photos (I could have done this before...)
and yes, this is indeed a Comm Slot card.

> The Comm slot support was new in 1.5? -- I don't
> remember for sure. I thought it worked at one time, but I can't
> use it at all lately. You might search recent posts. It would be
> good if someone filed a PR on that.

It's working fine here (FSVO fine).  It just seems to fail when too much
traffic gets through it (i.e., copying files from my other box).  But I've
been using it for ssh and downloaded some files through pkgsrc (directly
from internet, low bandwidth) and it still works.  The kernel just says:

sn0 at obio0: integrated Ethernet adapter
sn0: Ethernet address 00:01:98:14:62:55

And I've got this message later:

sn0: Tx packet status=0x5496

Cheers