Subject: Re: Successful installation plus comments
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/16/2004 08:20:20
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

> Finally, I've got NetBSD/mac68k 2.0_BETA installed in the Performa 630! :D
> Not without problems, though...
>
> First of all I had to apply the softfloat "patch" and modify it a bit to
> work properly with the latest 2.0_BETA code.  I wonder if there is any
> chance for it to get in the tree?  It could be good to have, given that
> it works...  I can help in adding it, BTW.

There is PR 25086. I would suggest you put your updated patch up on
ftp.netbsd.org (made properly with "cvs add" and "cvs diff -Nu") and
post the URL to the PR, while to port-m68k and port-mac68k, post the
URL and ask if anyone objects to your committing it.

> Second, I had multiple problems in sysinst.  After partitioning the disk,
> it sets up the disklabel (which is properly written to disk) but never
> formats nor mounts the partitions.  I had to ctrl+d at that point, newfs
> /dev/wd0a and mount / on /targetroot.  This worked with 1.6.2 sysinst,
> so looks like breakage in 2.0.  Has anybody else seen this?  This is
> something releng@ will want to know.
>
> Third, /etc/fstab was not created by sysinst.  So first boot failed and
> I had to create it by hand.  I guess this is related to the previous
> point.

No, but I would never see that doing upgrades. One question: are
sysinst and the other utilities on the ramdisk built soft-float with
your patches? It might not be a bad idea to build sysinst soft-float
by default, but it surely needs it for the MKSOFTFLOAT case.

> Fourth, I had multiple problems with the network.  It got stalled some
> times, and I had to ctrl+d, disable and reenable the nic (sn0) and try
> to download the failed file again.  Probably some problem in the driver?
> Anyway, the transfer got around 550kb/s, while macos only gets 150kb/s...
> nice :)

Is it a Comm Slot card?

Frederick