Subject: Successful installation plus comments
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/16/2004 14:42:54
Hi!

Finally, I've got NetBSD/mac68k 2.0_BETA installed in the Performa 630! :D
Not without problems, though...

First of all I had to apply the softfloat "patch" and modify it a bit to
work properly with the latest 2.0_BETA code.  I wonder if there is any
chance for it to get in the tree?  It could be good to have, given that
it works...  I can help in adding it, BTW.

Second, I had multiple problems in sysinst.  After partitioning the disk,
it sets up the disklabel (which is properly written to disk) but never
formats nor mounts the partitions.  I had to ctrl+d at that point, newfs
/dev/wd0a and mount / on /targetroot.  This worked with 1.6.2 sysinst,
so looks like breakage in 2.0.  Has anybody else seen this?  This is
something releng@ will want to know.

Third, /etc/fstab was not created by sysinst.  So first boot failed and
I had to create it by hand.  I guess this is related to the previous
point.

Fourth, I had multiple problems with the network.  It got stalled some
times, and I had to ctrl+d, disable and reenable the nic (sn0) and try
to download the failed file again.  Probably some problem in the driver?
Anyway, the transfer got around 550kb/s, while macos only gets 150kb/s...
nice :)

I think that's all.  Now, to set it up! :D

Cheers.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/