Subject: Re: Copying a "large" file
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/15/2004 18:26:30
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:02:16 -0500 (CDT)
Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>
> > I've tried to add the file as a new session in a CD with no luck (this
> > new session is invisible in the mac).
>
> I've put up a CD image here:
>
>   ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/iso/NetBSD-2.0_BETA-20040612/mac68kcd.iso
>
> It's not an official "CD", but I've since made changes to the make
> system so that the official 2.0 CD will be very much like that. One
> nice thing, is that it's an HFS hybrid, so you can just double-click
> to run the Booter, or drag it the Desktop and double-click, or
> whatever. No Stuffit(TM) required.

Thanks, but can't use it...

> If you were trying softfloat because you have a broken CPU chip,
> you'll have problems with that, though. The chief symptom is that
> programs segfault randomly under NetBSD.

Yeah... well, in fact, neither the kernel works.  It crashes very early at
boot up (some kernels even don't boot or reboot the machine).

> > I've also tried to setup tcp/ip in Mac OS 8 (so I could download the file
> > with netscape), but it never produces any activity in the network.  I'm
> > sure I'm missing some extra program, because I got tcp/ip working with
> > the Mac OS 7.something that came with it (it has extra stuff installed).
> > What do I need?
>
> Open Transport? Isn't that part of the stock Mac OS 8.0 install?

Yes.

> > Sorry if these sound too stupid or out of the scope of this mailing list...
> > but I haven't been able to find documentation about this (specially I'd
> > like to get the network working, at least under mac os 8).
>
> Maybe the card needs a special driver? Check out the manufacturer's
> site, or try a different card.

Oohh!  That was it.  I couldn't imagine I needed an external driver.
I just looked at the card, found it's a DaynaPORT E/CS-T, and downloaded
the driver from Intel.  It's working fine from Mac OS now, so I can copy
files through the net :)

> They're pretty cheap on the second-hand
> market these days.
>
> What kind of ethernet card is it? I have a Comm slot card which hangs
> up the computer when I try to configure it under NetBSD (a Performa
> 63x, but the CPU has been replaced with a full '040). I haven't really
> explored the problem, because I found an LC slot card, which works
> fine under both NetBSD and Mac OS.

With 2.0 I can configure the card properly.  But I tried to ping another
machine from the mac and it hung :(  Have to investigate a bit more.

Cheers and thanks again!

PS: Hmm... I should find a second-hand market that has mac stuff ;)

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/