Subject: Re: losing Control Panel settings?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drkilloran@speakeasy.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/15/2004 09:06:21
>I've got a IIci on which I'm running NetBSD/mac68k.
>
>However, every time I power it off, when it comes back up, 32-bit
>addressing is disabled in the control panels and the booter refuses to
>boot in consequence.
>
>This is not the problem described in FAQ item 3.9.  First, I _am_ using
>internal video, sometimes with a monitor, sometimes with a paperclip
>jumper.  Second, when I get the error, 32-bit addressing is in fact off
>when I go check the Memory control panel; turning it back on and
>picking Special->Restart cures the problem - until next power-down.
>
>Now, it also loses the time when I power down, from which I infer that
>some internal battery is dead or some such.  But how could that affect
>Control Panel settings?  They're saved on disk, no?  Certainly the date
>and time format settings are saved across power-downs; I tried it.

Your battery is dead - replace it at once. I have often had Macs
brought to me that wouldn't even start up, and the cause was usually
the battery. I wouldn't replace it with anything but the original
Lithium battery, because sometimes the order in which things go bad
is affected by the manner in which the battery dies, which is
different for the Lithium than for e.g. an alkaline battery.

Dan Killoran