Subject: Re: Copying a "large" file
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/15/2004 09:02:16
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

> I've tried to add the file as a new session in a CD with no luck (this
> new session is invisible in the mac).

I've put up a CD image here:

  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/iso/NetBSD-2.0_BETA-20040612/mac68kcd.iso

It's not an official "CD", but I've since made changes to the make
system so that the official 2.0 CD will be very much like that. One
nice thing, is that it's an HFS hybrid, so you can just double-click
to run the Booter, or drag it the Desktop and double-click, or
whatever. No Stuffit(TM) required.

If you were trying softfloat because you have a broken CPU chip,
you'll have problems with that, though. The chief symptom is that
programs segfault randomly under NetBSD.

> I've also tried to setup tcp/ip in Mac OS 8 (so I could download the file
> with netscape), but it never produces any activity in the network.  I'm
> sure I'm missing some extra program, because I got tcp/ip working with
> the Mac OS 7.something that came with it (it has extra stuff installed).
> What do I need?

Open Transport? Isn't that part of the stock Mac OS 8.0 install?

> Sorry if these sound too stupid or out of the scope of this mailing list...
> but I haven't been able to find documentation about this (specially I'd
> like to get the network working, at least under mac os 8).

Maybe the card needs a special driver? Check out the manufacturer's
site, or try a different card. They're pretty cheap on the second-hand
market these days.

What kind of ethernet card is it? I have a Comm slot card which hangs
up the computer when I try to configure it under NetBSD (a Performa
63x, but the CPU has been replaced with a full '040). I haven't really
explored the problem, because I found an LC slot card, which works
fine under both NetBSD and Mac OS.

Frederick