Subject: Copying a "large" file
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/15/2004 15:29:21
Hi again,

ok.  I've been able to boot the installation on my Performa 630!
(I didn't know about the sysinst method until I was pointed out... eww,
if I had read INSTALL before...)

I'm actually using an instkernel image with the softfloat patch for 1.6.2
(I want to install 2.0, but picked up the wrong file from inet).  Anyway,
sysinst boots properly and seems to find all hardware (including the IDE
disk and the network card).  I've tried to partition an all went fine.
But if I try to enable the network, it hangs.

So, I want to try a 2.0 instkernel (as I said, what I want to install is
2.0, not 1.6.2), so I went to:

ftp://reva.sixgirls.org/pub/NetBSD/m68k/NetBSD-release-2.0-mac-softfloat/mac68k_softfloat/installation/instkernel/

and picked netbsd-INSTALL.gz.  But... unfortunately, this file is too big (just
a few extra kbs) to fit in a single floppy disk :(

How can I copy it to the mac?

I've tried to add the file as a new session in a CD with no luck (this
new session is invisible in the mac).

I've also tried to setup tcp/ip in Mac OS 8 (so I could download the file
with netscape), but it never produces any activity in the network.  I'm
sure I'm missing some extra program, because I got tcp/ip working with
the Mac OS 7.something that came with it (it has extra stuff installed).
What do I need?

Or maybe I could "compress" the file (with stuff(1)) and split it into
multiple disks?

Sorry if these sound too stupid or out of the scope of this mailing list...
but I haven't been able to find documentation about this (specially I'd
like to get the network working, at least under mac os 8).

Thanks.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/