Subject: Re: Install on IDE?
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/14/2004 13:43:43
Hello,

> a month ago or so I got a Performa 630 (haven't touched a Macintosh at
> all before this one).  I replaced its hard disk of 350mb with another
> one of 1.7GB and installed MacOS 8.1 in it.  Note that the hard disk of
> this model is IDE, while the CD is SCSI.

Normal configuration, Ok.

> So my question is... is it possible to get NetBSD installed in this
> box?  I mean, with the disk being IDE.  Which program can I use to
> partition the drive?
>
> Everything I've read and/or tried expects SCSI disks... :(

I wrote something about how to do this a long time ago... let me go find
it... here is it:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-mac68k/2001/12/03/0004.html

Note that it's VERY old, and you may be able to use pdisk these days. Now
that I read it, it may be of little help if you don't have access to a
PowerMac. Perhaps a friend has one? That's been the easiest way, in my
opinion.

pdisk is said to be good for this now; let us know of your experience.

Good luck!
John Klos