Subject: Re: Portuguese Keyboard Support on NetBSD (PR #21430)
To: Nuno Teixeira <nu@nunotex.freeshell.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/03/2004 11:00:18
On Sat, 3 Jul 2004, Nuno Teixeira wrote:

> Yes, I've read the replies to this PR saying to convert builtin kernel
> change to userland map.
>
> Well, I'm not a developper nor a programer, but with some help I can
> create a userland map. I use FreeBSD too, so could I use their pt
> keymaps (syscons)?
>
> Could yout take a look at the attachments that I include in this email
> to see if it is possible to use it?

It looks like FreeBSD's format is different. Take a look at the other
NetBSD keymaps in "/usr/share/wscons/keymaps". It looks to be fairly
straightforward to translate the C code in your PR to the format
wscons wants (NetBSD only needs the deltas, as in your C code.)

Activate and test your map by adding a "mapfile" entry to the end of
"/etc/wscons.conf", and chanting

  /etc/rc.d/wscons start

You can view the current mapping, to get the symbol names (which look
to be the same as for X) with

  wsconctl map

Or, on a single virtual console,

  wsconsctl -f /dev/tty03 map

You could also make the changes one key, or even one virtual console,
at a time, vis:

  wsconsctl -f /dev/tty03 -w map+="keycode 7 = 6 ampersand"

Frederick