Subject: Re: SBC Kernel
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/13/2004 17:39:25
At 10:06 Uhr -0500 13.6.2004, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>So, the idea is, if you get SCSI timeouts or other untoward behavior
>with the ncrscsi driver (GENERIC), you're supposed to try the sbc
>driver (GENERICSBC). I don't recall any reports from this list of
>anyone ever have trouble with the sbc driver, or any bug reports that
>were solved by switching to the ncrscsi driver (but I haven't done a
>search). Does anyone have hardware doesn't work with the sbc driver?
>Perhaps we could avoid a lot of questions by making it the default?

When setting up 030 Macs, I have made it a habit to use the sbc kernel
first, and then try the ncrscsi kernel to find out whether the disk
tolerates that also. And all too often, I have to stick with the sbc
kernel. There may be some non-harddisk scsi devices that show more problems
with ncrscsi than with sbc, although I do not recall any example right now.

By playing with the sbc driver flags (polled DMA, disconnect-reselect,
interrupts -- see mac68k/dev/sbcvar.h) in the config file, you can get some
of the advantages (and problems) of the ncrscsi driver.

'man -k sbc', 'man -k ncrscsi' comes up empty, btw., and the flags are not
explained nor listed in GENERICSBC.

My vote: Make GENERICSBC the default kernel.

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email