Subject: Re: SBC Kernel
To: Daniel Bolgheroni <dbolgheroni@unifei.edu.br>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/13/2004 10:06:21
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:

> I didn't find reading the documentation, and what I want to know is
> what's the difference between a normal kernel and a SBC kernel?

They each have a different driver for the SCSI hardware found in '030
and '020 Macs. In the way of documentation, I find only this,

 ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.2/mac68k/INSTALL.html#Possible%20hardware-specific%20issues

There is more in CVS, which supplements my recollections from this
mailing list... Apparently, Scott Reynolds ported the sbc driver from
the mvme68k port (SBC stands for Single Board Computer), because of
lingering problems with the then new ncrscsi driver, but never felt
confident enough in it to replace the other driver completely,
retaining both variations.

So, the idea is, if you get SCSI timeouts or other untoward behavior
with the ncrscsi driver (GENERIC), you're supposed to try the sbc
driver (GENERICSBC). I don't recall any reports from this list of
anyone ever have trouble with the sbc driver, or any bug reports that
were solved by switching to the ncrscsi driver (but I haven't done a
search). Does anyone have hardware doesn't work with the sbc driver?
Perhaps we could avoid a lot of questions by making it the default?

Frederick