Subject: Re: white on black console, again
To: Claudio Leite <leitec@helgedom.org>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/09/2004 10:33:49
Claudio Leite wrote:
> Hello all--
>
>   I decided to tackle the black-on-white console that some complain about.
> I poked around the source tree last night and got some mixed success. Are the
> authors of macfb.c on this list? From what I gather, the Mac's screen seems to
> be black on white by default, requiring that I invert it somewhere in
> software. Is this correct?

Yep. It's important to note that the console is a frame buffer, not a
"hardware console" like on PC's. So doing white on black, should just be
a matter filling the background with black pixels and then using white
to draw foreground and black to draw the background.

I haven't looked at things too hard but I'm wondering how wscons is
"layered" on mac68k. If it's just a thin layer on top of ite, where ite
pretends its a PC-style hardware console, then you should just need to
modify the draw code in ite. If it actually supercedes ite, then you
have to modify code in the mac68k wscons somewhere.

I had done console inversion on ite before. I think I even submitted a
patch to the mailing list a long long time ago about it. Perhaps you can
search the mailinglist archives?

> Changing the tiny font size seems trivial, too. Is there a particular reason
> for the 6x10 font?

I think the 6x10 font is to help people using the tiny 9" screen on SE's.

Doesn't wscons support loading new fonts? If this requires some kind of
support, perhaps putting in loadable font support is what you want to do
rather than just picking a larger font.

  Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org
  "I'm too old to use Emacs." -- Rod MacDonald