Subject: Re: What would you consider to be the "best" system for NetBSD/mac68k?
To: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/08/2004 11:40:52
Tim & Alethea Larson wrote:

> I knew I had heard someone was working on this issue...  :)
>
> Has any of this been incorporated anywhere?  I assume you build your own
> custom kernels to test.

I submitted a PR to get the initial support merged in but it appears
that nobody is working on getting the code checked in. :(

If you search the mac68k PR database for DMA you should see it. It
basically points at an email I sent to this list that has a tarball
attached. It's just a few patches to psc.[c|h] and the esp.[c|h] files.

 > Is "still isn't great" better than it was
 > otherwise?

If I remember correctly, write performance got a little better in
certain cases. Basically, bonnie wasn't showing any great improvements.
Again, the bottleneck is the NCR SCSI chip doing async transfers, and
async transfers are dog slow compared to syncrhonous transfers. This can
be fixed but I basically ran out of time to work on that. Luckily,
though, somebody else can pick up where I left off :-)

  Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org
  "I'm too old to use Emacs." -- Rod MacDonald