Subject: Re: What would you consider to be the "best" system for NetBSD/mac68k?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Nathan Raymond <nate@portents.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/07/2004 11:06:35
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Tim & Alethea Larson wrote:

> Smith Family wrote:
>
>> My question, then, is this: what would you consider to be the "best"
>> (hardware compatibility, speed, etc.) to run NetBSD on?

Quadra 650 - 33Mhz full 68040, no (as yet unimplimented in NetBSD) DMA/IOP
issues.

> You want a Quadra, basically.  Fastest 68040 chips in Macs were 33MHz (630,
> 650, 800, 950 models) or 40MHz (840AV).  I've heard that the SCSI driver that
> NetBSD uses on the AV models is not as well developed though, so you might
> have slower disk throughput.  (Anybody know if this is still true?)

Avoid the IIfx, Q900, Q950, and Q840AV since they all have Input-Output
Procesors (IOP) and DMA that is isn't fully supported or not supported at
all in netbsd.

> Some people swear by the Quadra 605, as it is physically small, even
> though it has only a 25MHz LC chip.

It's memory controller can also handle a single 128MB 72-pin SIMM.

> When getting a 68040, you probably want a model with a full 68040 chip, not
> the 68LC040.  The LC variety lacks the math coprocessor (FPU), but can
> sometimes be upgraded to a full '040 if you know what you're doing.

Know what you're doing = pull the old chip out of the socket (flat head
screwdriver to gently lift up the sides first is all you need) and push in
a new one.

> The reason is that the NetBSD build for FPU-less machines is still a bit
> experimental.
>
> 68040 rocks 68030 about 2:1 speedwise, BTW.  That said, some of the '030
> machines are still nice.  The IIci has nice expansion possibilities. The
> SE/30 is my personal favorite, even though it is at the low end of speed
> (only 16MHz...but some other 16MHz models are slower for other design
> reasons)

Other reasons = SE/30 has a 32-bit bus, Apple halved the bus in most other
machines (like the Classic II and much of the LC series) to 16-bit.  Also
the SE/30 has a PDS slot which can accept accelerators, and some SE/30s
had socketed CPUs where you could insert some (rare) 32Mhz 68030
accelerator cards without using up the PDS slot.

--
Nathan Raymond