Subject: Re: What would you consider to be the "best" system for
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/03/2004 01:17:08
on 6/2/04 6:42 PM, Michael at macallan18@earthlink.net wrote:

> Hello,
>
> something completely different - does anyone know where things stand in
> support for the Quadra 900 / 950 and the WGS95 card? L2 cache and
There were rumors that work on a plain 950 existed... but thei quiesced.

> I've been running A/UX 3.1 on a Q700 now for quite some time ( NetBSD
> doesn't like the graphics board ( a miro Rainbow GX ), onboard video is
> way inferior and A/UX does 24bit X11 in decent speed, so I stuck with
> it )
Incredible! I read in many places and got confirmations when I tried it
myself: A/UX disables any hw aceleration on the graphic boards. On my IIsi
even 256 color is slower than macOS.

A/UX is mutli-task no acceleration. So if our X serevr is slower than
theirs, we are wrong :)

> And - is there any chance that the Apple Ethernet II board ( the thing
> with the 68000 and some memory ) works some day?

My MacIIsi is currently running A/UX for the same reason. It supports this
wonderful card while no other OS does.
ALso a/ux is wonderfully small, has a compielr which is better than gcc
(under some aspects, like error reports and code quality)... basic,
snobol... what do you want more?

:)

-R