Subject: Re: What would you consider to be the "best" system for NetBSD/mac68k?
To: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/02/2004 20:22:55
Hello,

>> I've been running A/UX 3.1 on a Q700 now for quite some time ( NetBSD
>> doesn't like the graphics board ( a miro Rainbow GX ), onboard video
>> is
>> way inferior and A/UX does 24bit X11 in decent speed, so I stuck with
>> it )
> Incredible! I read in many places and got confirmations when I tried it
> myself: A/UX disables any hw aceleration on the graphic boards. On my
> IIsi
> even 256 color is slower than macOS.
well, it's a PDS card, totally unsupported by NetBSD... no idea if A/UX
disables accelleration, it's certainly bearable :)
It's a shame that miro denies any knowledge of the card, it must have
been horribly expensive when it was new ( it has s-video, something
that looks like a DSP and a lot of memory )
Under MacOS in 24bit it feels still faster than the onboard video in
8bit.

> ALso a/ux is wonderfully small, has a compielr which is better than gcc
> (under some aspects, like error reports and code quality)... basic,
> snobol... what do you want more?
It does no c++ and has funny ideas about standard-c - compiling recent
software with it is a pain so it's use for me is pretty limited... (
I'm talking about the c89 that comes with A/UX 3.1 )

I'd prefer to run NetBSD on it but since both the graphics and the
network card aren't likely to get support anytime soon ( and docs for
the miro are probably extremely hard to get ) I guess I'm stuck with
A/UX.

btw. do you know of a way to find out how much of the RAM on the
Ethernet II board the driver uses? Mine has additional sockets with
chip numbers printed next to it, coincidentially I had a couple of the
right kind, plugged them in and now I'd like to find out if the
additional RAM does it any good.

have fun
Michael