Subject: Re: What would you consider to be the "best" system for
To: Smith Family <smithrus@hutchtel.net>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/02/2004 10:27:59
At 7:35 PM -0500 6/1/04, Smith Family wrote:
>Hi again,
>
>Thanks for all of your replies! This is certainly good news. I have 2 or 3
>LCIIIs and 2 IIcis I'll get into service over the next week or so. Will the
>AIO LC 475s and the like run it too?

Hi Colin,
The LC475 will work, but it's got an LC040 so you'll want to use
Bruce's softfloat distribution for that machine. If you have FPUs in
the other systems, they'll run fastest using the standard
distribution. The others (if they don't have an FPU) will run fine
with the regular distribution but will run slower because they'll be
using NetBSD's floating point emulation.

So basically, here's the working status:

Processor                       NetBSD Distro           SoftFloat Distro
'030 NoFPU                      Works, but slower       Works faster
'030 FPU                        Works faster            Works, but slower
'040 NoFPU (LC040)*             Random segfaults        Works
'040 FPU ("full" 040)           Works faster            Works, but slower

HTH
Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.