Subject: Re: NetBSD on IDE disk
To: Daniel Bolgheroni <dbolgheroni@unifei.edu.br>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/31/2004 22:03:06
On Mon, 31 May 2004, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:

> I'm trying to install NetBSD on a Performa 630CD with an IDE disk. I
> found a document written by John Klos describing the way to do that:
>
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-mac68k/2001/12/03/0004.html
>
> But this document seems outdated; it was written in 2001. Now, what's
> the current status of installing NetBSD on machines with IDE disks? Do I
> still need a SCSI disk with NetBSD installed?

No, the Booter and "sysinst" ramdisk install work fine on IDE. I
haven't tried a clean install lately, but it should work. My Q630
is happily running 2.0E on an IDE disk, no SCSI disk in sight.

If this is an original Performa 630 with the LC040, you're up against
a different problem. In that case, your best bet is to try one of the
soft float snapshots as posted to this list recently.

Frederick