Subject: Re: 23 May build for Mac68k softfloat
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Joel Rees <joel_rees@sannet.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/28/2004 18:08:26
Again, hoping Steve doesn't mind if I redirect this to the list.

(I'm hoping somebody has the right clue stick to hit me over the head
with.)

>> Unless I can figure out how to give the memory file system more space,
>> that is not going to have any room at all. If I can figure that out,
>> is
>> 36M of RAM going to give me enough room for the larger sets?
>
> The RAMdisk is sized to try to fit into most memory configurations.
> I don't think that having more memory will help it any.

Well then, where does it store the downloaded tarballs?

I guess I should see if I can read that script and find out.

>> I did try mounting a partition that is not being used for anything
>> else
>> at /usr2, making an INSTALL directory in that, and specifying
>> /usr2/INSTALL for the download working directory. I even tried a
>> partition from the internal IDE drive. Same results -- no space for
>> the
>> first download to complete.
>>
>> Well, that's all the time I have for this project for a while. Thanks
>> for the clues. I wish one of them had gotten netBSD into this box. Did
>> learn a bit, however.
>
> Bummer.  I would have suggested that, when it bombed, to break into
> shell
> and see if there is anything in /usr/INSTALL

It would be a real surprise if there were, because it stopped on the
very first tarball.

>  (if the filesystem is still
> full; df should tell you that).

df says the ram file system is full, but there's nothing in any of the
disk file systems. Well, the partition I mounted on /tmp had something
left over from negotiating the DHCP at one point.

>  Maybe /usr/INSTALL needs to be a symlink
> to /usr2/INSTALL...  Or if there's nothing in there, and the filesystem
> _is_ full, to look around and see exactly _where_ the downloads are
> going
> to, and make that a symlink to /usr2/INSTALL.

Okay, next time I dig into this, I'll start by looking in the
sysinstall script to see where those were supposed to be going.

The traditional Mac Installer app doesn't work. I was able to get
everything except X into a moderately large root partition once with
1.6, but I couldn't use some partitions (especially large ones) and all
partitions gave mixed reports, df showing unreasonable numbers and ls
showing reasonable numbers. (A 100MB+ /home would complain it was more
than 95% full when there were only four 8 kilobyte files in lost+found.)

Tried the traditional installer just now and it threw a hissy fit when
I tried to mount /var and /tmp, which are fairly high in the map. Hmm.
Those may be starting at over 1GB.

Are there problems with large (4GB) disk drives?

--
Joel Rees