Subject: Re: 23 May build for Mac68k softfloat
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Joel Rees <joel_rees@sannet.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/26/2004 18:20:46
> The 23 May mac68k softfloat build lives at:
>
> ftp://lain.ziaspace.com/pub/NetBSD/m68k/NetBSD-release-2.0-mac-
> softfloat
> /

Okay, I gave this one a shot. Tried the install kernel, it got along to
the point where it was supposed to partition the disks, and it saw the
map left over from when I partitioned with the Mac HD Setup utility. It
let me set the mount points, then complained that it couldn't open
something (which I forgot to write down, silly me). So, when it checked
to see if it could install, it said the file system did not look like a
netbsd file system.

So, I specifically changed each volume to what it was, in an attempt to
get disklabel to write the label, but it still failed to open whatever
it was.

So, I dropped out to the shell, newfs-ed each partition by hand
(defaults, no errors reported), then ran sysinst again. This time it
allowed me to proceed to attempt to load from ftp. But about half way
through the first tarball, kern-GENERIC.tgz, it choked, complaining
there is no space left on the device. (70 M on root should be enough,
right?)

This is the same machine that reported flaky disk usage numbers on
netbsd 1.6, allowed me to load the base set into a single root
partition from the Macside tools, but kept hanging when I tried to move
things where they belong.

I guess maybe what I need to do is put together some test machine code
that would tell me if this LC040 is one of that batch that was really
botched. If that's not the case, I'm thinking I should suspect that my
SCSI circuitry is broken. The machine's stability under Mac OS was
never great and has been declining noticeably in the last year or so.

Which means I doubt the above information will be anything but noise,
but I thought I'd post my results anyway.