Subject: Re: Booting 1.6.2 on Q700
To: Paul Sander <paul@wakawaka.com>
From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/23/2004 21:59:33
On May 23, 2004, at 8:45 PM, Paul Sander wrote:

> Here's a status update on this install:
>
> I reinstalled mkfs, installer, and booter.  I wiped the root partition.
> I installed all of the binary sets with the following difference:  In
> my
> prior attempts, I installed the kernel-generic set.  This time I
> installed
> the kernel-genericsbc set.  Then I booted NetBSD.  Still no joy.  It
> hangs
> at the same place.

That place being:

> root file system type: ffs

On my Q700, booting tended to create a filesystem within swap for
/dev/console or something like that (dmesg isn't particularly revealing
about this and I can't recall the boot message; ISTR that it should be
in the archives, though).  Anyway, at that point boot appears to hang
but does proceed after a few minutes.

> I have since successfully installed NetBSD on a second Q700.  The only
> differences between the machines that I can find are:
> - Broken machine has 20MB RAM, working machine seems to claim that it
> has
>   68MB RAM.
> - Broken machine has 2GB disk, working machine has 1GB disk with a loud
>   bearing.
>
> Is 20MB of RAM sufficient to boot NetBSD?  It had been working in the
> past.  This same machine ran NetBSD 1.5.1.

My Q700 ran NetBSD 1.6.1 and 1.6.2 OK with 20 MB RAM.