Subject: Re: Booting 1.6.2 on Q700
To: None <paul@wakawaka.com, timmcn@bitstream.net, port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Paul Sander <paul@wakawaka.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/23/2004 18:45:48
Here's a status update on this install:

I reinstalled mkfs, installer, and booter.  I wiped the root partition.
I installed all of the binary sets with the following difference:  In my
prior attempts, I installed the kernel-generic set.  This time I installed
the kernel-genericsbc set.  Then I booted NetBSD.  Still no joy.  It hangs
at the same place.

I have since successfully installed NetBSD on a second Q700.  The only
differences between the machines that I can find are:
- Broken machine has 20MB RAM, working machine seems to claim that it has
  68MB RAM.
- Broken machine has 2GB disk, working machine has 1GB disk with a loud
  bearing.

Is 20MB of RAM sufficient to boot NetBSD?  It had been working in the
past.  This same machine ran NetBSD 1.5.1.

--- Forwarded mail from paul@wakawaka.com

>--- Forwarded mail from timmcn@bitstream.net

>On May 21, 2004, at 8:45 PM, Paul Sander wrote:

>> I just installed NetBSD 1.6.2 on a Quadra 700.  This is an upgrade from
>> 1.5 but I wiped the root partition and used the newest version of the
>> booter to launch the generic kernel.
>>
>> During the initial boot, the kernel starts up and discovers all of the
>> devices connected to the system.  Right around the time it mounts the
>> root filesystem, the machine freezes and I must hit the reset button or
>> cycle power.

>Hmmm.  Did you "sh MAKEDEV all" when you did the install?

>--- End of forwarded message from timmcn@bitstream.net

Thank you for the quick reply!

I ran "Build Devices" from the installer running under Mac OS 7.6
before installing the sets.  I also reinstalled the installer and tried
again after receiving your reply.  No joy.  I've copied the last part
of the console messages below:

scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <SEAGATE, ST32151N, 0560> SCSI2 0/direct/fixed
sd0: 2047 MB, 4177 cyl, 8 head, 125 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 4193415 sectors
sd0: sync (160.0ns offset 15), 8-bit (6.250MB/s) transfers, tagged queueing
cd0 at scsibus0 target 3 lun 0: <SONY, CD-ROM CDU-8003A, 1.9a> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable
cd0: sync (280.0ns offset 15), 8-bit (3.571MB/s) transfers
adb0 (direct, II series): 2 targets
aed0 at adb0 addr 0: ADB Event device
akbd0 at adb0 addr 2: keyboard II
wskbd0 at akbd0 (mux ignored): console keyboard, using wsdisplay 0
ams0 at adb0 addr 3: 1-button, 100 dpi mouse
wsmouse0 at ams0 (mux ignored)
boot device: sd0
root on sd0a dumps on sd0b
root file system type: ffs

At this point the machine hangs.

BTW, I'm not using a serial console, if that matters.

--- End of forwarded message from paul@wakawaka.com