Subject: IIci RAM detection
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Henry R. Bent <hbent@cs.oberlin.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/01/2004 15:30:01
Hi all,

I have a question about IIci RAM detection.  I have a IIci with 20MB of
memory (4x4MB and 4x1MB SIMMs).  I installed 2.0_BETA from releng about a
month ago.  I had read in the mailing list archives
that only the first bank of RAM would be detected, and this seemed to be
the case.  When booting the GENERIC kernel I got these lines:

total memory = 16384 KB
avail memory = 15572 KB

Somewhat low memory usage, but it didn't attract my attention.  Now I've
built a custom kernel (only about 12 hours ^_^) and I have these:

total memory = 16384 KB
avail memory = 16524 KB

So it appears that NetBSD can use all 20MB of my memory, but it is not
being detected by the routine to print out totals.  Are there two separate
methods being used to calculate total memory?  If so, why?  And in any
case, though this is trivial, can it be fixed?

--
Henry Bent
hbent@cs.oberlin.edu