Subject: Re: 2.0 ... what's in it for me?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Paul Ripke <stix@stix.homeunix.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/30/2004 07:42:53
On Friday, Apr 30, 2004, at 03:28 Australia/Sydney, Mark Benson wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2004, at 02:21 pm, Allen Briggs wrote:
>
>> Actually, a fair bit of OS X comes from NetBSD.  At least used to.
>
> Aha! Found this at Apple:
>
> - FreeBSD, the primary reference  platform for Darwin's BSD kernel
> development.
> -  NetBSD, the upstream source for  a significant portion of Darwin's
> user-space  commands and tools.
> - OpenBSD, with its focus on  robustness and security and its
> integrated  cryptography, provides OpenSSH for secure  remote access.
>
> If you want the full text it's at:
> <http://developer.apple.com/darwin/history.html>

And a reasonable chunk of the kernel still has NetBSD heritage:

ksh$ find xnu -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep -i netbsd | wc -l
      213
ksh$ find xnu -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep -i freebsd | wc -l
      361

Mind you, this is Darwin 6.6, aka MacOS X 10.2.6, not quite the latest
and greatest.

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke