Subject: Re: q610 versus MacIIsi and LC3
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Joel Rees <joel_rees@sannet.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/27/2004 09:28:51
On 2004.4.27, at 05:08 AM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

>> Stephan mentions the battery. I've seen it, too. Some models will boot
>> with a dead battery, some won't. And I think the battery may day in a
>> way that corrupts the PRAM, so some that should boot with a dead
>> battery might require hitting the PRAM reset switch or key
>> combination.
> The battery is failry new, I tried resetting the pram by removing the
> battery and leaving the baord without power for some time. This usually
> makes a farily deep reset.
>
>> I hope you haven't tossed the motherboard yet. The CPU is likely to be
>> a full '040, which is something you would not want to throw out.
>>
>> http://www.lowendmac.com/quadra/q610.shtml
>
> I extracted the full 040 and put it in a anti-static bag. One never
> knowsm I
> could find a quadra without CPU or an LC to upgrade :)

Yeah, if I'd thought twice about who I was responding to, I wouldn't
have bothered with the heads-up. Checking the PRAM battery and not
throwing away the CPU were the two points I was wanting you to be
cautious about.

>> Emulation? what emulation? From what I've read on this list recently,
>> have the idea that emulation has fallen through the cracks in recent
>> versions of netBSD.
> Once it did work, but was incomplete.

I think I'd agree that the FP emulation issues are the most likely
problem with booting that drive in another system.

I suppose you've tried mounting the drive as a second drive on another
system? Or do the SCSI drivers for the mac68k port have trouble with
more than one drive on the SCSI bus?

> Thanks for the interest,
>
>     Riccardo

Sorry for the noise.