Subject: Re: q610 versus MacIIsi and LC3
To: MacBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/26/2004 22:08:06
on 4/26/04 1:23 PM, Joel Rees at joel_rees@sannet.ne.jp wrote:

> Stephan mentions the battery. I've seen it, too. Some models will boot
> with a dead battery, some won't. And I think the battery may day in a
> way that corrupts the PRAM, so some that should boot with a dead
> battery might require hitting the PRAM reset switch or key combination.
The battery is failry new, I tried resetting the pram by removing the
battery and leaving the baord without power for some time. This usually
makes a farily deep reset.

> I hope you haven't tossed the motherboard yet. The CPU is likely to be
> a full '040, which is something you would not want to throw out.
>
> http://www.lowendmac.com/quadra/q610.shtml

I extracted the full 040 and put it in a anti-static bag. One never knowsm I
could find a quadra without CPU or an LC to upgrade :)

> Does netBSD support daughter card FPUs without special drivers or
> configuration?
Well, the FPU is recognized at startup. The dougthercard is the one needed
to have  a NuBus slot so I need it anyway :)

> Emulation? what emulation? From what I've read on this list recently, I
> have the idea that emulation has fallen through the cracks in recent
> versions of netBSD.
Once it did work, but was incomplete.

> I do hope the 610 hasn't gone to the dump yet.
Well, not yet. I have written RIP on the case, extracted the CPU, ram,
battery and hard disk :) But it will go to the dump eventually.
I cleaned and visually inspected the motherboard. Nothing seems damaged, but
one never knows.
Well, its value is not worth shipping it to you and I hope to find one
sooner or later to replace it. SO, I think it will land on the dump soon.
Even if I poked around with an oscilloscope and found somethig suspect on
themotherboard (with which knowledge? which wiring schemes?) I would have no
means or repairing it.

Thanks for the interest,

    Riccardo