Subject: q610 versus MacIIsi and LC3
To: MacBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/26/2004 09:51:36
Hello,

my Q610 with netbsd 1.6.2 gave up his spirit. After the "bong" I get the
"sad mac sound" immediatly and no video output to read a possible code.
Removing all ram, vram, disks, etc, did not help.

What I end up is having a hard disk with 1.6.2 and a stock kernel on it.

I have tried putting that disk in my other macs: a IIsi (with FPU on the
doughter card) and on a LC3 (no FPU) and on a IIci.

the results are:
- on the IIci the boot process doesn't finish! a kernel panic occours. That
IIci was running happily 1.6.1 and is now an OpenBSD box. I have no real
interest in getting that particular disk to boot there, but I tried and I
wonder.

- the IIsi and the LC3 boot and get a prompt, but the environment is
unstable. Trying to compile something usually ends up in a seg-fault. It is
not really predictable though.

So I wonder if it is posssible just to switch disks this way? I have a
standard install on that disk with a stock kernel which should support all
those macs?
The LC3 has no FPU, so the problem may lie there (or has 1.6.2 improved the
situation with fpu emu a bit?)

The best solutiuon would be to have q950 support! I have such a beast and it
would be ideal to do 68k compiling, which is wat I was doing on that q610.
Try to get software working for our platforms! And I see that at least the
Java effort stirred some interest.

Cheers,
    Riccardo