Subject: Re: Java?
To: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/26/2004 09:44:07
on 4/25/04 9:50 PM, Tim & Alethea Larson at thelarsons3@cox.net wrote:

> Dalibor Topic wrote:
>
>> there is apparently a package of 1.0.5 for netbsd-m68k, but that's
>> kaffe from a few years ago :(
>

> I might give it a try anyway, just to see if it will do what I want to do.

Yes, you could try 1.0.5, but you may also try 1.0.7 which is last
production release, a bit old, but maybe still works for you.

> So what exactly would you need volunteers to be doing here?
Well, we got to the point were kaffe "compiled" almost but failed to run. A
closer loook showed a lot of assembler errors and those should be
investigated.

>> The current problem with m68k-* is, afaik, that the
>> kaffe/kaffevm/verify.c assembler file ends up being too large for the
>> assembler, so  you get interesting warnings from the assembler [1] and
>> crashes later.

The interesting point is that OpenBSD/68k 3.3 which is evry similar to
netbsd 1.6.2 and has still gcc 2.95.3 era tools, doesn't exhibit this
behavior. But the two use also slightly different code (jit3 vs jit).

The bad news is that the "main" kaffe 68k build machine for netbsd has give
up its spirit. "peregrin" has a fried motherboard and I'll be bringing it to
the dump today. SO, for now, getting more ram will be the least of the
problems!

I could salvage the data, the HD is ok and I can temporarily boot into
NetBSD from my other quadra, but this is a temporary solution only and also
not all macs are equally well supported. some lack (pseudo) DMA support and
things get really dog-slow.

I need anotehr Q610, but those are difficult to find here in italy. I guess
a q700 would be good too.

-RIccardo