Subject: Re: Support for new hardware in NetBSD 2.0?
To: Joey C <joeyjwc@rcn.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/20/2004 10:18:53
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Joey C wrote:

> 	I must ask way too many questions, but here's another one.
> NetBSD 1.6.1 doesn't seem to support my Macintosh Performa 450's (LCIII)
> GCR Floppy Controller.  At boot time, it says that the chip revision is
> not supported (-77).  Will NetBSD 2.0 support this?

Not a chance. Sorry.

> Another problem is
> the XFree86 Graphical User Interface.  My video card is an onboard video
> card (as dmesg tells me).  Does this mean that I can't get color X?  If
> I can get color X, will NetBSD 2.0 support it?  I have heard that the
> designer of the color system can't be currently found, so they can't get
> a license.  Thank you for your help and I'd be happy to test any kernels
> for 2.0 when I have time on my Performa 450.

I'm not sure what you "heard", but nothing's changed since my last
post. (Hint: search the list archives.) I'm sure that someone will
make a binary available after 2.0 is released; it just doesn't look
like it's going to be in the release. The onboard restriction applies
only to the original, ancient "colorkit", of which the associated
kernel mods only worked with NuBus cards. Current incarnations use the
"grf" interface, which works on almost all Macs, however it requires a
reboot to change modes.

Frederick