Subject: Re: booting netbsd on LCIII
To: Joel Rees <joel_rees@sannet.ne.jp>
From: Joey C <joeyjwc@rcn.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/19/2004 09:40:14
On Sunday 18 April 2004 9:44 pm, you wrote:
> Why SoftFPU? Does it help the installer or something?

NetBSD requires that your computer has an FPU.  LCIIIs don't have FPUs in
them, so you could either buy one somewhere or get a FPU emulator.  I chose
to get SoftFPU for now and maybe later get a real FPU.  SoftFPU just emulates
a FPU so you can run NetBSD.  There are a few other FPU emulators out there,
but I can't seem to remember their names.  If you have a FPU already
installed, you don't need an emulator, but if you don't, you need to either
buy one or download an emulator.

> Have you had problems with 4 GB drives?

The only hard drives I had were the 120 MB drive that came with the computer
and a 1 GB Quantum Fireball.  Certain models of drives aren't compatible with
NetBSD.  Mine, luckily was.  I don't see why a 4 GB drive wouldn't work, so
you should give it a try.

Hope that helps.

--
111