Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 for non FPU macs
To: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/01/2004 20:52:57
On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Bruce O'Neel wrote:

> Thanks.  The problem with my fixes is that one builds two sets of binaries.
>
> In one case you build the normal binaries with inline f instructions.
> In the other case you build them using -msoft-float to gcc and you have
> no f instructions.
>
> This allows netbsd to work well on lc040 macs, but, of course, is slower
> on macs with fpus.
>
> I'd be happy if the changes were picked up and put in, but, I suspect,
> there needs to be some more discussion especially since my changes
> aren't really mac68k specific, but rather m68k specific, and the
> current users who have real FPUs don't want to give up any
> performance given that 68k systems aren't that fast to begin with :-)

	(apologies if been asked before)
	How difficult would it be to have a set of patches which can
	build normal or nonfpu versions of the userland, switchable
	with a make variable?

	Then for 2.0 all releng need to do (once approved) is to compile
	up a m68ksoftfloat distribution. This opens up the can of worms
	which is merging the various m68k userlands... which shouldn't be
	_too_ difficult, but likely to take some time :)

--
		David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --