Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 for non FPU macs
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/01/2004 14:35:10
Hi,

Thanks.  The problem with my fixes is that one builds two sets of binaries.

In one case you build the normal binaries with inline f instructions.
In the other case you build them using -msoft-float to gcc and you have
no f instructions.

This allows netbsd to work well on lc040 macs, but, of course, is slower
on macs with fpus.

I'd be happy if the changes were picked up and put in, but, I suspect,
there needs to be some more discussion especially since my changes
aren't really mac68k specific, but rather m68k specific, and the
current users who have real FPUs don't want to give up any
performance given that 68k systems aren't that fast to begin with :-)

Thanks again!

cheers

bruce

--