Subject: Re: [OT] Mac OS info Re: Mac IIci install problems
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Charles The Hawk <charlesthehawk@yahoo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/09/2004 13:36:24
>Of course, you may not have access to many of the
>things we take for granted here, like external SCSI
>CD drives, or even Mac SCSI cables.
Actually one of the Mac-hines had a CD-ROM drive and
we had some SCSI cables laying around.  However, i
suspect that to put it on the machine i'm working on
i'll have to copy all 19 of the 7.5.3 floppies to
the hard drive again and install something more than
the minimal system.  *sigh*

>Are you aware of these:
>http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=8970
>http://www.info.apple.com/support/applespec.legacy/index.html
Nope.  Thanks.  I'll check them out.

>http://www.lowendmac.com/
That one i found in a Google search.  Looks good.

On 2004/03/08, at 22:38, Charles The Hawk wrote:

> --- Joel Rees <joel_rees@sannet.ne.jp> wrote:
>> On 2004/03/08, at 1:44, Charles The Hawk wrote:
>> I doubt there are any Macs being used commercially
>> in Zambia.  We are trying to help them get jobs.
>> Perhaps i'm wrong, but i think someone familiar
with
>> a Unix-like system can more easily pick up other
>> systems.
>It's good theory, but the real world is in the
>direction of GUI. They need both of course, because
Like i said, i intend to use the IIsi's and the IIci's
that have 80MB disks with MacOS, so they should be
getting both.

>And, of course, you are familiar with the fact that
>Mac OS X is doing reasonably well for a supposed
>niche-player. (Yeah! Mach+BSD+Mac. Gotta drag this
>back, well, almost on topic. ;)
Heh, no i'm not.  I've always ignored Apple for
reasons i won't get into here.  Don't want to start
a flame war.

>And probably not even a spare USD 15 to get any
>bigger RAMs on eBay or whatever.
And the USD 35 to ship it here, and the USD 10
customs would make us pay to receive the shipment.
And the about 40% chance that the package won't
make it here at all.  Kinda hard to justify that.
My oldest son goes back to the States next week.
Next time he comes over perhaps he can bring some.
In the meantime ...

>>but we have to buy monitors, keyboards and
>>mice for them (PC's), which we're unable to do at
>>this time.
>Have your tried headless, using a Mac as a console?
Hmm, good idea.

>Apple supplied a personal web server in Mac OS 8, but
>I'm sure you want to dedicate those Quadra 950s to
>netBSD anyway.
Actually, the Quadra didn't get erased for some
some reason.  Perhaps only the workstations had
personal or sensitive data.  If we knew what we were
doing, i'm sure we could get some of the stuff off
it.  I don't know what all is on it as it seems to
be kind of flaky and i'm not sure we have the cabling
to connect the machines anyway.

>I hope some of that helps.
>Joel Rees

Yes, it does.  Thanks much.