Subject: Re: Color X issues/1.6.2 question
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/06/2004 15:17:15
On Mar 6, 2004, at 2:03 PM, Paul B. Lorah wrote:

> I installed an additional 512 kb of Video RAM in my Quadra 650 to get
> color X, however it ONLY works in 16-bit (i.e. thousands of  colors).
>
> I've heard of this weird color map and have encountered it myself in
> 8-bit.
>
> Setting the booter to "thousands" makes no difference?  I've
> encountered no problems with that.  Perhaps try setting the screen to
> 16-bit depth and/or a different resolution BEFORE launching Booter.

Hmmm.  I have a *really* minimum System on this Q700 (e.g., no control
panels at all).  Are you suggesting installing the various display
Control Panels and setting things in those before setting them in the
Booter?  Would that make a difference to NetBSD?

I've tried all the combinations available under the Monitors menu in
the Booter, to no avail.  The color rendering is badly screwed up
(e.g., yellow seems to be substituted for blue, color gradients are
heavily posterized... most graphics look like Kirlian photography).
x68k/palette is unhelpful; man X is not helpful.  I'm guessing that
there's a lot of reverse engineering that has to be done to get this to
work properly, or that there's something peculiar about my system-
hardware or software, I don't know.