Subject: Color X issues/1.6.2 question
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/06/2004 10:52:17
I've got the color X server up and running on my Quadra 700 (68 MB RAM,
2 MB VRAM).  It will only run at 256 colors, apparently; setting the
Booter for "thousands of colors" makes no difference and X dies when
the Booter is set for "millions of colors" (am I correct is assuming
these are 8, 18 and 24 bit modes respectively?  The terminology used in
recent discussions on this list and the terminology used in the Booter
interface are different).

Anyway, the problem I have is horrible color rendering.  JPEGS, for
example, have a Dali-esque false-color rendering that has a nice
art-school look but are useless for actually figuring out what you're
looking at.  TIFFs, GIFs, same problem.  GNOME Enlightenment is a
nightmare to look at.  IceWm is better, but offers a lurid green
background with hot pink menu bars and such.  Truly the stuff of too
much pizza before bedtime.  Is there some way I can tweak the color
rendering to get something a bit more accurate?

I've updated to 1.6.2 without problem.  Seems stable, not overtly any
different than 1.6.1 from the userland perspective.  I used the "update
by hand" method recently mentioned by Kazu Inanaga (thanks Kazu, worked
slick except that tar was confused by "*.tgz" and I had to unpack each
.tgz on at a time), and then replaced the xmack68k X server with the
color X server.  My question in regard to 1.6.2 is whether I also have
to sup pkgsrc; I have the 1.6.1 version currently.