Subject: Re: Minor bugs and a few questions
To: Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@pps.jussieu.fr>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/04/2004 14:13:24
On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> I've just finished installing 1.6.1 on a LC 475.  There were a few
> minor nits during the installation, I thought I'd share them with you.
>
> I've found the multiple booters present on the CD to be confusing.  It
> should be documented that ELF kernels will only boot with the 2.0
> booter.

NetBSD 1.6.2, released this week, ships only with Booter 2.0.

> While sysinst is documented to work with 6 MB of memory, and the
> machine has 8MB, the installation would crash with gzip running out of
> memory when installing sets.  The solution was to escape to the shell
> and swapon manually.  I guess that sysinst should do that automa-
> tically, or at least the procedure should be documented.

That sounds like a good idea, updating the documentation. The swap
thing can't work unless you already have swap partition configured,
so that sounds difficult to automate. Please file a problem report.

> Additionally, the cross-compiling procedure is documented to work
> under Linux.  This isn't the case: cross-compilation under Linux fails
> when compiling cat (!) because the __COPYRIGHT macro is not defined.
> I've finally installed NetBSD/i386 and did the compilation from there.

PR 24481

> Finally, I've not been able to get a kernel without the in-kernel
> debugger to boot.  The boot process hangs just after the last message
> of the booter, and just sits there.  Recompiling the kernel with no
> changes in the config file except adding ddb solved the problem.

PR 14744 -- you can enter those number in the "problem reports"
section of the web page.

> While I have your ear, do people have any ideas how to make the kernel
> smaller?  It's currently at slightly over 1.2 MB, but there's a mere
> 5.5 MB free after booting.

That's good that it boots to a prompt! There's a SMALLRAM example
config in ".../sys/arch/mac68k/conf", but it may not buy you much.
Running the compiler, for one, is pretty much out of the question.

> Any chance to get the floppy to work?  The iwm driver is giving up
> with ``unknown chipset (-77)''.

Don't know.

> Oh, and will any ethernet card work on an LC 475?  The supported
> hardware document mentions the Asante LC cards as not working on the
> LC 475.

I should think that if the card's supported, it's supported on the LC
475. Many of those old ethernet cards will have gone bad, and nobody
offers warranties anymore, so you may have to try a few before you get
one that works.

Frederick