Subject: Re: Slot manager kernel?
To: David Rogers <davidrogers23@earthlink.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/02/2004 08:33:04
On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, David Rogers wrote:

> I was going through the mailing list archives and saw tons of stuff
> about a kernel that uses the slot manager.  Is this project dead or has
> it been merged into the source tree?

The ball was dropped on that a long time ago.

We are talking about color support and resolution switching in the
Xserver?

I think the focus of further development should be on porting the
XFree86 4 Xserver to mac68k. That's with the plugin video drivers.
The first plugin should query the grf device for the booted resolution
and depth; then other hardware can be better supported bit by bit.

If a driver needs a kernel assist, I understand it's now possible for
LKM's to add syscalls that weren't compiled in (in current and NetBSD
2.0) -- before, LKM's could only override existing syscalls.

Frederick